Since my son Jack was 6 months old, we had enjoyed an endless stream of solid all-night sleeps, save for the occasional cold or sickness. However, just before his 3rd birthday, he started waking up again in the middle of the night and creating, let’s be honest, a houseful of angry zombies. After stumbling our way through for over a month and only watching things progress further downhill, I called on the amazing Sleep Consultant that I had used when he was younger and, lo and behold, a few quick tips later, we were back on track to a full nights sleep!
It got me to thinking about what I like to call my “Personnel Tool Kit” – the people I call on whenever I feel I need an outside hand, or just perspective. It also made me think that, for many people, I’m likely a part of their Tool Kit – Over the past 6 years I’ve worked with several of my clients more than once, whether it’s just keeping them on track with day to day business operations, helping them purge and settle in after a new move, helping relocate their parents, etc.
So, who’s in your Personnel Tool Kit? Who do you call on when things feel out of control? Or are you the type of person that feels you shouldn’t be calling anyone?? (If you are, stop being that person).
Here’s a few people in my Personnel Tool Kit:
- Sleep Consultant. Shan Roth of Jammytime Sleep Solutions helped us create some better sleep habits and was a great sounding board for realistic solutions. And, when it came down it the question really was, how much is a good night’s sleep worth to me? (the answer, in case you’re wondering, is A LOT).
- House Cleaners. The busier we are, the less time we want to spend on cleaning. We use it sparingly, but I know others that use it on a weekly basis and it is a life saver!
- Accountant. Accountants, especially for incorporated businesses like mine can be pricey but they are worth every cent of my precious time as I’d rather be out making money than wasting valuable hours trying to understand a language that is fairly foreign to me.
- Marketing Experts. When it comes to the development of my marketing campaigns, my business model structure, or my website, it was clear that I needed someone with a better understanding than me to create what was needed. Although my background gives me a solid foundation for what is needed, it’s the execution part I always seemed to fall short on, and that’s where my businesses has truly benefited. And you also get the opportunity to work with amazing artists like this who create awesome logos like this:
- IT Consultants. After suffering through years of painful IT management (and I use that term loosely) on my own, I met with an independent IT consultant who took 3 hours to do what had literally been taking me years to accomplish.
It is so important to me that I use the right people so I can maximize my time on the things that I love (like my family) and also things that I love AND make me money (I’m one of the lucky few whose job fits into both of those categories). And it also makes sense to trust experts – it’s not that we’re not capable of doing some of these things on our own. It’s just that the right people are dedicated to their craft and learning the best possible way of doing things (and also introducing you to to a few new ideas you never would have known about, if not for them).
Bottom line – Don’t be afraid to ask for help.